Center Commanders

Capt. O. D. T. Lynch
June, 1959 -- June, 1960

Capt. O. D. T. Lynch

What are the chances that two officers named Lynch would relieve each other of command? It happend in 1959 when Capt. Oliver Demouy Thomas Lynch relieved Capt. Ralph Lynch. They were not related to each other.

Capt. O.D.T. Lynch was born in Mobile, Ala. on Nov. 27, 1908. He attended the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1926 and was commissioned an ensign on June 5, 1930.

His first assignment following graduation was on USS Omaha and in May, 1934, he went to flight training at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla. he was designated a Naval aviator on Oct. 1, 1935 and joined Bombing Squadron One on USS Ranger.

He returned to general service at his own request in 1937 and served on USS Truxtun (DD-229) before attending the Naval War College, Newport, R.I. With the outbreak of hostilities in Europe, he left the War College prior to course completion and became the executive officer of USS Cole. In July, 1941, he reported to the Naval Operating Base, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In July, 1943, he became the commanding officer, Naval Camp Parera at Curacao.

In January, 1944, he returned to the Naval War College for the command course and in November, 1944, he joined the staff of commander, Amphibious Group 11. While there, he served as gunnery officer for commander, Task Force 54 (gunfire and covering force) embarking on USS Nevada during the assault and seizure of Iwo Jima.

Exerpt from Capt. O. D. T. Lynch's Bronze Star citation.

He had similar duty on the staff of commander, Task Group 55 Point Two (gunfire support group) and embarked on USS Birmingham. He particpated in the assault and seizure of Okinawa and other islands of the Ryukyus from March to May, 1945. For his services here, he received the Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V".

On USS Calvert, he served as gunnery officer and particpated in the landing of the Tenth Corps, U.S. Army in the Kure-Matsuyama area of Japan in October, 1945.

He then transferred to the staff of commander, Amphibious Group Three on USS Mount Olympus, to serve as gunnery officer. In that assignment, he took part in the repatriation of the Japanese to their homeland (November, 1945 to January, 1946).

In August, 1946, he assumed command of USS Whiteside (AKA-90) in Guam. Under his command, that attack cargo ship operated in logist support of United States Forces and military government in the Ryukyu Islands. He left Whiteside in November, 1947 and reported to the Naval Harbor Defense School, Fort Winfield Scott for indoctrination. Upon completion he reported as assistant war plans officer on the staff of the commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier and commandant, Tenth Naval District, in Puerto Rico.

In May, 1950, he joined the staff of commander, Amphibious Training Command, U.S. Pacifi Fleet in Coronado, Calif. as the operations, plans and training officer. He took command of USS Telfair (APA-210) in May, 1953 and operated in the Korean area during the hostilities. Detached from that attack transport in August, 1954, he reported as plans officer on the staff of commander, Seventh Fleet and in November, 1955, he became the commanding officer of Service Schools Command, San Diego. He served in that capacity until March, 1959 when he became the commanding officer of Naval Administrative Command at NTC. In July, 1959, he became NTC's commander.

He retired from active duty on July 1, 1960. His career following retirement is unknown. If anyone has further information on Capt. O.D.T. Lynch regarding life after the Navy or date of death, please contact the webmaster.

Center Commanders

NTC History Home